Living room interior with kitchen in the house – Kitchen combined with the living room in a private house
Design of a kitchen-dining room-living room in a private house
- 1 Design of a kitchen-dining room-living room in a private house
- 2 do-it-yourself instruction on interior decoration
- 3 pros and cons of combine living room and kitchen
- 4 design and combination of the dining room, layout of the hall
- 4.1 Kitchen-living room design: why you need to do it
- 4.2 Design a living room kitchen in a private house – great opportunities
- 4.3 Exotic layout of a kitchen-living room in a private house
- 4.4 Non-standard kitchen-dining room-living room in a private house
- 4.5 Design of the kitchen combined with the living room
- 5 Design of a kitchen with a dining room and a living room in a private house: planning ideas
- 6 Living room combined with kitchen in private house ideas
When planning to build their own home or repair at the old cottage, everyone dreams of comfort, a cozy atmosphere, a beautiful interior. To ensure harmony, the desire to be indoors, spend time here with friends or family will help a well-thought-out layout, well-composed composition and tasteful design.
Interior styles for the design of a country house
Choosing a particular style, you can achieve maximum harmony with a few strokes in a fairly ordinary environment. When the budget allows, the restrictions are removed, and then literally any wishes can be realized.
Among the popular and sought-after interior styles for the kitchen in a private house:
- Classic is a solemn design that needs a lot of space to turn around and look really elegant. That is why this style is often implemented in combined rooms, but here the dining room should occupy a significant place, since the table – large, round or oval – is the center of family meetings, and they are of great importance in such an interior. Classics are chosen by those who value family and age-old traditions, feel and relate to high society. This style is used for country villas, huge palaces and stylized castles.
- Provence or country is a cozy option for a summer residence. However, the kitchen and dining room in this style will be comfortable in a country house for permanent residence. But the living room will still be separated from the main space for eating. The hearth is important here, not the table. A place to relax with soft sofas in such an interior is inappropriate.
Country design and Provence is of a simple rustic character, they use rough and primitive objects for the dining area. Therefore, if you want to organize a more comfortable living room, it is better to carefully separate it from the dining room and kitchen, perhaps only by visual means and some distance from the hearth. Such styles are harmonious in a wooden cottage, as here will be the most suitable headsets from an array – without gloss, excess paint and plastic decor.
- Contemporary is a classic in a new way, as this style is often called. But it cannot be said that it really resembles classicism. There is no solemn decor, monumental designs and gilding are not used.
Contemporary is a simple and elegant interior, most often made in a combination of gray-black, white and wood shades. Here you can see simple surfaces with intuitive designs and designs. Quite often, cabinets are made in the same color as the walls – white, and they merge together, visually freeing up space. The floor is warm, wooden or ceramic, and in the kitchen area it is heated. Dark black lines emphasize the graphic and straightforwardness of the situation, can separate zones and areas. It often uses integrated solutions and multifunctional complexes that are visually almost invisible.
- Minimalism, hi-tech and Japanese functionalism are similar design options in which everything is simple, understandable, and technologically advanced. These are usually quite bright solutions, since, in addition to shades and shapes, there is no decor in such an interior. You can choose glossy surfaces of saturated colors, elementary pieces of furniture, but not rough, but high-tech and comfortable – without a pattern, without lace and especially without ornate details.
Of course, the assortment of design solutions is not limited to these styles. There is always room for eclecticism and experimentation. Each person has their own understanding of comfort and coziness, so the choice of the interior design of the kitchen, as well as the entire combined space, lies only with the residents of the house.
From the same point of view, the choice of color palette in a country house is not limited. It is unlikely that the living room with kitchen here will be so small that you will have to paint the room in exceptionally light shades. In your own cottage there is always a place for your favorite bright solutions and color fireworks.
Layout of a combined room in a private house
The larger the area of the building, the more opportunities there are for the implementation of any ideas. But it is much more interesting to develop the layout of the room when the space is still limited. It is such projects that raise questions and doubts.
- Traditionally, the zones are located as follows: a kitchen, followed by a dining room and then a living room. These areas are visually separated, which is primarily done by furniture, but it is much more comfortable and harmonious to use clearer borders. You can choose those from simple and interesting zoning methods.
- In a limited space, such as a summer residence, you will have to reduce the area of the zones or redistribute it between the zones otherwise. The kitchen can be represented only by a hob (sometimes it is only a two-burner stove or electric stove) and one cabinet with a pair of wall cabinets. Such a working area is placed in the hallways, under the stairs, in the far corner of the premises of irregular shape. The remaining space is occupied by the dining room and / or living room. These rooms can be functionally combined.
- In a two-story private house, the working area of the kitchen can be placed under the second floor, from which a second light opens. Thus, the living room and dining room or only the living room will be located in a high spacious area of the room, and the kitchen space will be visually hidden from the eyes – under the second residential level.
- In a wooden cottage, the layout is often determined by the most secure placement of the working area, since the walls are highly flammable.
In general, the layout of the combined space is developed taking into account which of the zones will have the advantage of being brighter, more visited, beloved among households. If the living room accents, then the dining room can be represented by a small, even folding table and the necessary number of chairs. The kitchen is then placed where there is room for it.
When the kitchen becomes the “center”, or rather the accent of space, then the main area is allocated to it. Then this is a bright headset, no less saturated design of the working area. The dining room in such a room can be organized directly in the living room or on the bar or island – a separate part of the headset.
Zoning of the kitchen and living room
The layout of the kitchen, combined with the living room and dining room in a private house, requires competent zoning, which will ensure comfort and harmonious perception of the surrounding interior. It also uses traditional and effective techniques:
- Shades: the color of the kitchen, dining room and living room will be different. For these areas choose a different finish. Of course, it should be harmonious. As a rule, they use halftones of the same color, contrasting solutions or opposite options (when the background and accents change places).
- Materials: different surfaces are used in the decoration. Typically, in a kitchen it is ceramic tile or stone on the floor, while the design of the living room uses wooden flooring. The walls in the working area can be covered with tiles or paint, and in the living room – with wallpaper.
- Podiums and different ceiling levels. Since the height of the ceilings can be varied in a country house, here you can use multi-level designs that will help highlight the dining area, living room or kitchen. The podium will look similarly – a convenient solution, though not very comfortable, as you have to constantly look under your feet in search of a step.
Zoning options and architectural features
Often, zoning methods, as well as the layout itself, depend on the wall material and construction technology. Sometimes these parameters determine both the style of the interior and its design. But it happens, and vice versa, when tenants initially order a style in which they want to see their house and the atmosphere in it.
- In a brick cottage, arches are most often used for zoning , since there should be enough internal load-bearing structures here, especially in a spacious room. It’s optimal to design such interiors in a classical style, where the finish will qualitatively hide the masonry, and in some places you can leave it by drawing a connecting line between the past and the present.
- In a monolithic concrete building, zoning techniques are not limited to standard techniques. There may be supporting columns between the zones, which also contributes to the design of the premises in retro styles. But modern solutions are appropriate here.
In the photo – a huge space of the living room, dining room and kitchen in a monolithic house.
- In a wooden house, zoning with shades is most often used – wood, decoration materials, furniture, lamps. Log columns may also be present, but they are not designed in a classic style. Rather, in a wooden house, Provence or country, a functional contemporary will be used. Here the podium will be harmonious – for the working area or living room, depending on which zone you choose as a priority.
There is not a single universal advice on how to decorate the dining room and kitchen in your own home: the range of design, as well as architectural, solutions is so wide that it is unlikely to fit within the imagination of one person. Therefore, choosing an interior for your family, it is better to imagine and visualize your desires than to plunge into the long search for little-known styles and extraordinary projects.
do-it-yourself instruction on interior decoration
The combination of kitchen and living room in a private house opens up a lot of opportunities to create the most comfortable and stylish space. What other advantages does this solution have and how to divide a room into functional zones? Read about all this in our material.
The combination of kitchen and living room allows you to expand the working area and use almost any interior style in the decoration process
Kitchen-living room in a private house: advantages and disadvantages
In order to decide on the arrangement of a kitchen combined with a living room in a private house, it is necessary to study in detail all the advantages and disadvantages of such a room. We will talk about them in this section.
Thinking about combining a kitchen with a living room, you need to familiarize yourself with the advantages and disadvantages of such a solution
Advantages of combined premises
Equipping a kitchen combined with a living room in a private house (often called the kitchen studio), we get a huge gain in area and convenience. In addition to increasing the room’s quadrature and significantly increased convenience, one can mention the following advantages:
- An opportunity to place dimensional furniture. Due to the expansion of the space, you will have the opportunity to accommodate a stylish buffet or a larger refrigerator in the kitchen.
- A place to receive guests. To arrange a celebration or a party is much easier in such a kitchen-living room. It will not be necessary to pluck into the kitchen every few minutes and check the cake in the oven or get drinks from the refrigerator – everything is at hand!
- The increase in the working area. In the kitchen-studio you can easily realize the U-shaped layout of furniture, thereby creating for yourself a comfortable and spacious working area. Cooking on it will be many times more comfortable and enjoyable.In the expanded kitchen, you can use any type of layout – from linear to U-shaped
- Variability in interior styles. After combining the two rooms, you will get a space, with the arrangement of which you can use almost any style of interior – from classic and modern to country and hi-tech.
- Organization of the dining room. On the border between the living room and the kitchen, you can create a full dining area in which the whole family can comfortably sit.On the border between the two zones you can organize a comfortable dining area.
The disadvantages of combining
The combination of kitchen and living room is not an ideal solution, and it also has several disadvantages. However, one should rather talk about the features that require attention – many of them can be eliminated at the planning stage.Without a quality hood, odors will spread throughout the room.
- Smell. The interior of the living room – the kitchen in a private house cannot be imagined without a powerful model of a kitchen hood – otherwise, in a few weeks the whole living room will smell like fried potatoes.
- The increased noise level. Unfortunately, household appliances operating silently have not yet been invented. And if you can not pay attention to the microwave, then the mixer working in turbo mode is quite capable of drowning out the TV and this should be taken into account.
- Frequent cleaning. If, with a separate layout, you can take the plate away and leave it in the sink until the morning, then in the case of the combined kitchen and living room, you will have to wash it immediately. A clogged sink will violate the integrity of the combined room.It will be necessary to clean the kitchen-living room many times more often than an ordinary room.
Of course, if you equip the interior with your own hands, then it will be much easier to take into account these shortcomings and, at least partially, to eliminate them.
The cornerstone in planning the design of the kitchen-living room is the correct division of the space of a large room into functional zones. It goes without saying that the entire interior of the living-dining room-kitchen in a private house should be designed in the same style. But at the same time, it is necessary to clearly distinguish the area in which cooking takes place from the area for recreation.
For zoning the space, you can use finishing materials, furniture and lighting
When visually dividing the space, you can resort to several options for zoning: with decoration and furniture. Our instructions will tell you how to do it right.
Using different types of finishes in the process of arranging two combined rooms is the most effective way of dividing the space. This can be done by:
- Sten. A combination of decorative wallpapers in the recreation area and ceramic tiles in the workroom will look very impressive. You can use contrasting materials or finishes that differ by only 1-2 tones.
The working area can be separated using a ceramic tile apron.
If you want to decorate the walls with only wallpaper, then it is worth using decorative moldings. With their help, you can create several delimiters that visually separate the kitchen from the living room.
Even if you use different materials for finishing certain areas, they should be made in the same style
In addition, a combination of masonry and decorative plaster, wood panels and wallpaper is considered to be very advantageous. In general, you can combine a wide variety of materials that suit your style and price.
- The ceiling. Ceilings in the living room can be decorated with decorative wooden beams, while in the kitchen leave a plain coating. This combination looks great in a country or modern style interior.
Multilevel ceilings and beams – one of the easiest ways to divide the room into functional areas
- Paula. Another important element with which you can make the delimitation of space. Quite often, designers recommend using multilevel designs. The working area located on the podium not only looks spectacular, but also makes it easy to hide various communications under the floor covering.
Tiles in the kitchen and laminate flooring in the living room are the most popular combination of flooring.
The most popular finishing option is a combination of ceramic tiles in the kitchen and parquet or laminate in the living room.
You can use one of the proposed methods of dividing the space or resort to several options at once.
To divide the space, you can equally effectively use one or several methods at once.
A simpler, but no less effective solution is to zoning the space using furniture. In the process you can use:
- Bar counter. It is considered one of the most popular solutions that allows you to distinguish the kitchen from the living room in a single room (see also bar counter for a small kitchen). On the one hand, the bar counter can act as a dining table, and on the other – an additional place for storing small household appliances.
The bar counter serves not only as a separator, but also allows you to store small household appliances
In order for such a design to fit seamlessly into the overall interior, it must be made of the same materials as the headsets.
- Decorative screen. An option whose price is affordable for almost everyone. Make sure that the width of the structure is about 2-3 times less than the width of the room itself, so it will not obstruct the passage. There are many suitable models made of wood, plastic or bamboo.
A decorative screen will not take up much space, but will help to separate one zone from another
- The sofa. An oversized soft sofa is another convenient way to separate the kitchen from the seating area. Near it it will be appropriate to install a compact coffee table and carpet.
Furniture in the kitchen-living room should be designed in the same color scheme, but at the same time, a combination of different models is quite allowed. So, for example, simple stools would be appropriate in the kitchen – and rather elegant chairs made of the same tree will be placed near the dining table.
It is best when the headset and the rest of the furniture are made from the same options
In conclusion, you can resort to separation using lighting. In the kitchen, it will be optimal to install spotlights on the working surface, and in the living room a chandelier in combination with local light (for example, a floor lamp by the chair). At the same time, the lighting of two rooms should not conflict with each other.
Choosing an interior style
As mentioned above, the kitchen-living room in private allows you to implement many interior styles. It all depends on your taste and financial capabilities.
The design of the kitchen-living room in a private house can be made in the style of art deco, modern, country or classic
The interior of the living room kitchen in a private house can be made in the following popular styles:
- Country. One of the most popular types of interior, which looks as organically as possible in country houses. For its implementation, natural materials are used (for decoration and furniture).Country uses natural materials – from finishes to textiles. The color scheme is built on light shades: beige, light blue, sand, olive, milk, light chocolate, pastel yellow. Bright colors are allowed only as accents.Light colors fill the room with ease
- Classic. Elegant furniture with bent legs, flowing lines and expensive luxury materials. For wall decoration, you can use decorative plaster or wood panels, marble slabs or parquet boards will look great on the floor. Decorative elements with gilding will not be superfluous.High-quality parquet, light garinthur and a light palette are important components of the classic décor. To give space to cosiness, use textiles with a small floral pattern or plain colors made from natural materials.Refined accessories (frames, candlesticks, textiles) will help to add comfort to the kitchen-living room.
- Art Deco. It is characterized by the use of the following materials: aluminum, steel, silver, expensive wood, ivory and enamel. The color palette is built on contrasting tones with the addition of all shades of brown and gold. For decor, animalistic or geometric patterns, as well as abstraction, can be used. The interior is not without bright paintings in gilded frames.Bright paintings will make the interior original and unusual.
- Modern. The main materials that should be used to equip this style are wood and metal. Baroque walkways, exquisite stucco molding on the ceiling and moldings on the walls will complement the interior.
The color scheme of Art Nouveau is practically unlimited. But the combination of white facades with metal surfaces has already become a classic
There are no specific requirements for the color scheme – you can combine many discreet shades. As the main highlight of the decor, you can use stained glass stakes on the facades of the headset.
We told you about the advantages and disadvantages of combining a kitchen with a living room in a private house, as well as about interior styles that organically fit into such a room. In addition, you have learned how to delimit space using finishing materials and furniture. Following our recommendations, you can create a stylish and organic decor.
Be sure to check out the proposed video and photo materials – they will provide you with a lot of ideas for implementation.
pros and cons of combine living room and kitchen
Which of us does not like to eat comfortably, and then also relax comfortably in our own home. But very often the existing layout does not allow this. A big plus of a private house is that it can be redesigned at your discretion and embody the most daring design decisions. The living room combined with the kitchen is an ideal design reception for such a dwelling. We will introduce you to the possible design options for the living room, combined with the kitchen in a private house, and also bring to your attention a selection of photo interiors.
Combining the kitchen with the living room: in which cases it is relevant
Since the kitchen is the place where we spend at least a couple of hours every day, then, first of all, you should take care of its arrangement in accordance with the wishes of the homeowners, and not theoretical guests.
Very often, the layout in private houses, especially old ones, is not very successful and the kitchen area is too small, even tiny. And then the family, especially the large one, has to either huddle at a small table or take out a refrigerator outside the kitchen. And eliminating the wall dividing the two rooms will solve all the problems at once.
Combining the kitchen with the living room is a favorite technique of many designers, which is relevant not only for a harmoniously and comfortably furnished small space, but also just good on its own.
It often happens that the recreation area significantly exceeds the kitchen space, and the combination of these rooms can be said to compensate for the difference in space, as well as visually expand the space of both rooms.
Tip. If you have opted for such a redevelopment, then you should definitely contact the BTI for special permission, so that in case you do not demolish the load-bearing wall.
In addition, do not forget: the kitchen is considered a wet area and it should never be transferred to the living area.
Kitchen-living room: weighed the pros and cons
Before deciding on a redevelopment in a private house in favor of combining the kitchen with the living room, you must properly weigh all the nuances of this decision. The main advantages of this kind of zoning space in a private house include:
- Visual increase in the space and number of light sources over the entire area of interconnected rooms.
- The possibility of organizing mass celebrations, parties and simplifying the process of holding them, as the hostess of the evening will not need to constantly move from the kitchen to the living room.
- The possibility of comfortable absorption of food at a full large dining table with the whole family.
- The opportunity to implement the most daring, original and unusual design solutions.
- The possibility of cozy evening gatherings watching a movie on a chic plasma, which can become a common TV for two rooms (which will save on the second).
- Possibility of placing a large number of household appliances in the kitchen-living area.
The following points are traditionally referred to as disadvantages:
- Spread of extraneous odors that the range hood cannot completely absorb in the rest area.
- High requirements for cleanliness in the kitchen-living room area, because if a couple of cups in the sink for washing dishes is not very scary, but the dishes thrown on the table will look very messy and rough in a room with combined areas.
- The impossibility of distinguishing between the working area and the recreation area.
- The propagation of noise from the operation of household appliances throughout the kitchen-living room during the cooking process, etc.
Design of a kitchen-living room: methods of competent zoning of space
When it comes to combining two rooms, it means not their complete connection with each other, but the complement of each other. To this end, special techniques are used that allow you to visually separate the space of the kitchen and living room and at the same time create a harmonious combination of them. And exactly which techniques, we now consider in detail:
- Bar counter. You can use part of the wall, which once blocked two rooms, or you can build a separate structure at your discretion. The decoration for the bar can serve as wood panels, tiles, etc. It can be placed exclusively at the junction of two rooms so as not to disturb the harmony of space. There are obvious advantages from the use of such a detail in the interior: you can arrange a light snack, and the stand will become another work surface if necessary. In addition, it is an excellent tool for the competent separation of space.
- Custom flooring solutions. Making the floor in the kitchen-living room is another effective solution for this kind of room. A multi-level floor perfectly divides the space of the room into a working area and a recreation area. A kind of podium can also be a great cover for various communications. If you do not want to use several levels, try to apply one more effective design decision – the combined floor covering. It is advisable to finish the kitchen area with easily washable materials: tiles, linoleum or porcelain stoneware.
- Separator island is an excellent option only for rooms with a large area. It is always installed strictly at the border of two zones. It is not only an excellent separator of the functional space, but also increases the level of comfort.
- Columns, beams, arches for visual separation of space – a rather unusual and striking way of zoning the room. Moreover, the main goal of these decorative elements is not only not to hide the border between different areas of the room, but even to emphasize it. Only relevant for houses with high ceilings and spacious rooms.
- Suspended ceiling. Most often it is a two-level design. For the working area, a lower ceiling level with bright illumination is used; for the recreation area, a higher level with dim light is used.
- Dinner table. A massive table, clearly dividing the border of the kitchen and the living room, perfectly zones the space, and adds a touch of comfort to the room.
Tip. To enhance the effect of using the table, you can hang low hanging lights directly above it, preferably red, orange or yellow. This technique will make any food served to the table more palatable.
- Partitions, screens, etc. A great option for those who do not like the monotony. Such decorative elements will help to zone the space to your taste, or remove the separation at any time. Usually these elements are light, translucent, mobile.
We acquainted you with the basic techniques used for zoning the space of the kitchen-living room, and also examined from various angles all the advantages and disadvantages of such zoning of rooms. Bring your ideas to life and enjoy the result!
design and combination of the dining room, layout of the hall
They form the interior of the kitchen-living room in a private house with photo and video materials that allow you to familiarize yourself with multiple design decisions. In design art, the idea of combining the living room and the kitchen came from Western Europe. Authorship is attributed to feminists who decided at the beginning of the twentieth century to declare their rights. It is believed that the kitchen is an artificially created prison, the shackles of which must be destroyed.
Kitchen-living room design: why you need to do it
The main driving force was the idea to erase the boundaries between the functional areas in the room. At the beginning of the last century, the house wanted to eliminate the visual border separating the traditionally “female zone” from other rooms. Over time, the idea took on a slightly different meaning – a visual expansion of space. From a practical point of view, the dismantling of the wall separating the 2 rooms is expensive, but the result is worth it.
Between 1965 and 2015, in North America and Western Europe, kitchens combined with the living room began to gain popularity exponentially. In the CIS countries, unusual, at first glance, fashion came in the late 80s.
In addition to practicality, designers highlight a number of other advantages of such a structural solution:
- Rational organization of space – regardless of the parameters of a private house, the combined kitchen allows guests and hosts to communicate freely during cooking;
- An increase in the degree of illumination – the absence of additional walls leads to a comfortable level of lighting. In this case, one must take into account the location of the structure relative to the sides of the horizon. If the kitchen and living room overlook the shadow side, you should consider alternative options.
Design a living room kitchen in a private house – great opportunities
The interior of the room must be schematically divided until the actual dismantling of the wall. The use of three small zones is considered optimal: the living room, the “kitchen island” and the dining room. It is important that the next area behind the living room is the dining room. In this case, a cozy atmosphere is created in the room. After that, you need to choose the best way to combine spaces.
A prerequisite for its use is to find the kitchen a level higher than the living room. The second, but not so mandatory requirement, is a recommendation on the location of the kitchen closer to the front door. Compliance with the second recommendation will simplify the work with the wall.
Among the other advantages of the vertical method are:
- The formation of multiple thematic zones;
- Natural regulation of the degree of illumination of each of them;
- The ability to set visual accents with furniture.
It is used when the layout is built on the “principle of the train.” This means that each room is located on the same level as the adjacent area. The mistake made by the designers of the era of developed socialism with a skillful approach is easy to correct.
Used for this is the right color scheme and style. It will not be superfluous to pre-think the position of the hood and stove. It is advisable that they are in the farthest corner with respect to the living room. In this case, households and guests do not have to enjoy specific flavors.
Exotic layout of a kitchen-living room in a private house
For many, the bar counter is a traditional attribute of a bar or restaurant, so no one will think of putting it in a private house. Architects and designers disagree with such categoricalness. Just look at the photos of the finished layout options to see this. The key to success is to place the bar counter in the place where the living room and dining room come together.
- Practicality – the visual border between the two rooms does not limit people in terms of the possibility of communication;
- The opportunity to organize a cocktail party in the house;
- The bar counter replaces the functional area reserved for the dining room;
- Creation of several seats.
In order that the area between the hall and the bar does not seem visually limited, you need to choose the right color scheme. It is not recommended to use contrasting colors and shapes. Inadequately selected colors visually “steal” a few centimeters.
Non-standard kitchen-dining room-living room in a private house
In some cases, the designer has to work in unusual conditions. We are talking about buildings where the kitchen and living room do not have a common wall. In private households, the living room and kitchen are only partially in contact with the walls. The above is not a reason to abandon architectural transformations. The main thing is to maintain a balance between the amount of furniture used and color schemes.
The design of the combined room begins with the choice of color. Dark shades of blue will accelerate relaxation, and a combination of white and black will activate the digestion process. That is why you need to think ahead in advance of the color range, based on the ultimate goal.
Among other practical recommendations, designers distinguish:
- Whatever color is chosen, the combined living room and hall should not differ much in terms of color scheme;
- The visual border of the transition of one functional zone to another is drawn up by a lamp, a picture or a window next to it;
- You can use the podium to distinguish between the dining room and living room. He visually raises the kitchen, setting visual accents.
Design of the kitchen combined with the living room
Creating a combined zone in a private house – the ability to visually transform the room. The owner gets the opportunity not to lose visual contact with households and guests. In addition, even in small or non-standard designed houses, there is no chance to expand the space by adding natural light. The main thing is to maintain a balance in terms of the amount of furniture used and the chosen shades.
Design of a kitchen with a dining room and a living room in a private house: planning ideas
Own cottage is an opportunity to equip the interior without the restrictions that the space and designs of an apartment building put forward. Therefore, the layout in a private house – both suburban and on the urban site – is the most accurate reflection of the wishes of the owners, their ideas about comfort and harmony.
And, of course, special attention is paid to the kitchen, which is usually combined in the cottage with the dining room and often even with the living room. The design of such a space requires careful planning: from the selection of a harmonious palette of materials to the functional zoning of the room.
First of all, the layout and interior design depend on the construction technology and the materials used. As a rule, the combination of kitchen with dining room and living room is discussed at the stage of development of an architectural project. The design is largely dependent on the wall material. For example, brick walls are always finished with decorative coatings, but the surfaces in a wooden house can remain in their original form. The choice of the stylistic direction in the arrangement of the premises largely depends on this.
Benefits of Combining Rooms
The kitchen in a private house is the very place where they not only cook, but often receive guests, as in an apartment. Only here is it possible to combine this room with the dining room and even the living room, so that any family or meeting with friends is more comfortable and pleasant.
In the photo – a typical layout of a combined dining room, living room and kitchen in a country house.
The combination allows you to prepare breakfast, lunch or dinner and communicate with guests or family present. You can simultaneously receive guests and monitor the children who play in the living room. It will be comfortable even working at a computer in the dining room or living room and cooking dinner at the same time. But such associations have their drawbacks.
Cons of combined rooms
A significant drawback of this layout is the distribution of odors, sounds, condensation. Accordingly, both sounds and aromas can interfere with other family members.
At the same time, moisture and odors can be absorbed into different coatings, especially textile ones, so you should take care of an effective extract. In addition, you must carefully choose the coatings themselves. They should be cleaned at least well.
How to choose a style
The design of any room is always based on a harmonious composition, which is based on a certain style that has developed historically or because of modern requirements for comfort, functionality, ergonomics. Separately, one can distinguish national preferences in the arrangement of living space. Therefore, thinking over the interior, you need to determine for yourself the most important parameters and take into account the features of the premises in your home.
- Baroque and Rococo are two artsy styles. The first is massive and directly screaming royal luxury. Rococo suggests a more openwork and sophisticated lightweight design. But both options are distinguished by the desire for excessive chic in an expensive environment.
In the photo – the design of the kitchen and living room in baroque style.
- Classics and empire are two more ancient, similar directions. It is dominated by strict and regular geometric shapes, moderate decorativeness, aristocracy and nobility in everything from the palette to the choice of finishing materials.
- The loft – style interior is a very interesting solution, which is easiest to implement in a private house, especially if the first and second floors are not completely separated; when the second light is realized, and the overlapping of the first floor is partially absent. Then the roof structures will become part of the decoration, decor and the whole composition.
In the photo – the interior of the kitchen combined with the living room and dining room, in the loft style.
- The same beams of the attic space can become part of the chalet-style design. This cozy alpine interior is easiest and most appropriate, of course, to equip in a wooden house. Leaving the beams open, you can achieve an amazing effect in creating a warm and comfortable atmosphere.
- Among the modern trends in a private house, high-tech will be harmonious , especially if you are a fan of technical innovations and want to equip your home with them. Such an interior will be quite cold, but it is suitable for those who are restrained and strict in relation to themselves and others. It is suitable for those who value their comfort, providing life with technical innovations.
- Functional and strict Japanese style, which is characterized by minimalism, a special philosophy and worldview. Therefore, such an interior of the kitchen and living room contributes to peace. Here there is a clear geometry, and absolute submission to logic, and unity with nature.
- No less interesting is the modern style. Such an interior is harmonious, it is dynamic and subject to the usual laws of nature. For all the clarity of the lines, there is some mystery inherent in the foundations of the universe in general.
- Country style is considered cozy and homely warm. It has a lot of variations, so it can be implemented in the French direction – in the style of Provence, and in the American – in the form of a Texas ranch, and in the Alpine – above the chalet.
Harmony and comfort largely depend on the palette that dominates the room. Therefore, the design should be chosen not only according to its style, but also according to its preferences regarding the color scheme. In addition, there are rules for using shades in combined rooms: the palette should be identical both in the living room and dining room, and in the kitchen. You can use different combinations, proportions and contrasts, but harmony is based on the choice of two primary colors and one or two accents.
The rest of the design and its palette depend on personal preferences and the style of the interior. In addition, the cottage wall materials play an important role.
- If you are considering the design of a kitchen with a combined living room and dining room in a brick house , then here the choice of colors is great. In such a country house, decoration is necessary, so you can choose any materials and shades.
- In a wooden house, it is better to equip the interior in warm and homely interior options: in the style of a chalet, country, Provence. Then you do not have to turn a breathing cottage into an achievement of modern science and technology, where metal, glass and plastic prevail.
Thus, the choice of palette depends on the nature of the style. If we talk about modern technological areas, then metallic and glossy solutions, bright colors will prevail here. The dining and living areas should use warmer shades to ensure comfort. But in general, the palette should be similar to the colors of the kitchen:
- If a sufficiently bright color is chosen for the facades of the kitchen set , it cannot be the main one for the recreation area. Therefore, here the saturated tone becomes accent.
- When the main one is white or another light, neutral shade , then in the living room you can use more saturated warm colors. Usually it is natural wood, dark blue, green, terracotta.
You can find a lot of combinations and harmonious combinations, it is only important to choose the best ones for style and your mood. In addition, well-chosen shades help effectively zoning the space.
Layout of zones and methods for their allocation
When developing a room plan, it is important to consider the layout of the kitchen first. In a private house, you can place a sink, stove and other appliances literally anywhere you want. Of course, you need to consider safety and ergonomics.
- Most often, the working area in a spacious room is organized using an island headset. The island part is a convenient and functional solution. Here, both a sink and a stove can be located. But you can use this part as a desktop, and a spacious bar counter, where you can have a snack or a cup of coffee. To highlight the kitchen area, podiums and different ceiling levels are often used.
In the photo – the podium on which the kitchen is located.
- Based on the location of the headset, plan a dining area. As a rule, it is located close to the workspace, so that it is convenient to serve. Depending on the availability of free space, the dining table may be of various sizes. For a large family living in a country house or gathering here for the weekend, you can put a large wooden table. To highlight the area for eating, a central chandelier is used in a harmonious style, different from kitchen flooring.
- The living area is traditionally distinguished by materials and shades. In a wooden cottage, the interior will be subject to the properties of the main wall material: warm breathing surfaces prevail here. In a private brick house, other coatings are chosen that are most suitable for the implementation of the style in which the design of the entire room is made.
- The floor in the living room is covered mainly with wood coverings; you can put a carpet, which will be inappropriate in the dining room or in the kitchen. The recreation area can also be distinguished by the figured design of the ceiling, along the contour of which spotlights will be placed.
In the photo – a multi-level ceiling in the living room in a private house.
The layout in a private house is an exclusively individual issue, so here you can realize any ideas and wishes. It is important only not to forget about harmony in composition and competent zoning of the whole space.
Living room combined with kitchen in private house ideas
A private house is incredibly convenient for all kinds of alterations and designer flights of thought. The situation is facilitated by the fact that it is possible to transfer internal partitions with a calm conscience and a sober head, to complete and rebuild rooms. At the same time, the urgent question of how to design a living room combined with a kitchen in a private house is still open.
The situation is much easier to solve when you design your home from scratch and for yourself. However, if you already have a suitable room, feel free to use the ideas of leading experts in order to create maximum coziness and comfort.
Why do you need more – a kitchen or a living room?
Often in the first seconds I want to say – and in all more – the kitchen is spacious and the living room is comfortable. However, in most cases, you still have to choose. Or decide what really is a comfortable kitchen for you and how you see the comfort of the living room.
Is it possible to make a small kitchen area in a living room comfortable?
Let’s consider two options.
- Your house is represented by a small outbuilding, in which there simply is no other way out than creating a studio. On 15-20 m2, creating separate rooms is quite problematic.
- You have a spacious mansion, and your task is how to place the zones in the studio so that they do not get lost in the open spaces.
If you have 15 meters or less, it’s useful to take a closer look at how teenage houses and western kungs fit together. In them and on 6 m2 there is a bedroom, a kitchen, a living room and a bathroom. How can this happen?
- The kitchen consists of no more than three upper and lower cabinets. In the supercompact version, the sink is equipped with a cutting board, which can block the bowl of the sink and create an additional work surface. The stove turns into dominoes, the wall cabinets are compact and well organized. Shelves are placed according to the dishes, and not according to standards invented by someone.
- The living room is carefully thought out. It is advisable to use the same material for the living room set as for the kitchen. This will seamlessly combine all the furniture into one. Different zones will cease to conflict with each other and break up the already small space into separate parts.
- On a small area, the furniture is placed above the walls. Yes, now all magazines say that this is the last century. But for a round dance around the sofa you need a place, which is not so much at 15 m2.
- Floors, ceilings and walls are decorated in the same style and color. Those. Do not make large color accents. However, the use of the niche effect (dark color moves away, creates depth, and light creates volume) quite successfully solves the issue of visual increase in space.
- Mirrors work wonders and are able to “push” the walls. Glossy surfaces have the same property.
- Realistic murals with the prospect contribute to the creation of the effect of “dissolution” of partitions.
- Creating various levels with high ceilings allows the use of podiums, niches, suspended structures, increasing the functionality of the room.
- Lids that fall on the lower cabinets of the kitchen, with one movement of their hands turn them into living room furniture. An inexperienced visitor may not suspect that the room even has a kitchen.
In the presence of 30-40 m2 you can feel quite free. However, in a private house quite often, and with such a seemingly not the smallest area, there is an uncomfortable layout and the need to equip the kitchen in rather difficult geometric conditions. The hostess’s workplace wanders from the veranda through the corridors to niches, skirting broken walls and other inconveniences.
However, sometimes designers specifically create futuristic surfaces, giving the headsets an unearthly look.
- In any arrangement, it is worthwhile to allocate at least one meter of space around the headset so that the hostess can move freely with baking trays, pans and trays.
- The rule of the golden working triangle must be observed. The sink, refrigerator and stove are at arm’s length.
- Dining table can be a unifying element for the kitchen and living room. And with it, you can separate these zones.
- Corners and seeming inconveniences are quite suitable for placing a kitchen.
- Using the color properties to visually change the geometry of the room, you can make the necessary corrections. You can learn more about this here. At the same time, the photo clearly shows that due to the white color merging with the wallpaper, the kitchen simply disappeared and became invisible despite its rather large size. Thanks to the black color, the second headset has become visually less voluminous.
Designing a spacious studio is no less difficult than working with limited space. Because you need to think through the design in such a way that a person feels cozy, comfortable, and at the same time is not forced to make long trips for the items necessary in this area.
It is for such rooms that the concept of island furniture placement was developed, which we so often see in advertising pictures.
- Clear zoning of each area is required.
- Separation of zones occurs due to a change in material, color, texture. Zoning works well with the help of suspended multilevel ceilings, podiums.
- It is possible and necessary to apply light and stationary partitions, arches, niches.
- Arrange furniture so that a kind of semantic oases are formed.
- Observe the unity of style with a diverse design zones.
- Adhere to the rules of ergonomics, placing all the necessary objects near the center of the zone. Those. if it’s a kitchen, then around the headset, if it’s a living room, then around a sofa or table.
- Use layering.
Speaking about a private house, one cannot but mention the stairs, which play an important role in the interior.
When inviting a designer, ask him to create a visualization. If you liked it, then directly on the walls and floor make labels that will allow you to feel the real dimensions of the furniture. It is one thing to look at a room on a PC monitor, and it is completely different to live in the created space.